Section 95 – Rentals
With loans made available from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne is able to build single family dwellings on Council owned land. The objective of this program is to provide homes for those community members who would normally qualify for New Construction loans, however don’t own land.
Housing units are built on Council land, and then offered to Community Members who qualify based on the Selection Criteria established. These units can be rented for the term of the loan, they can be purchased by the applicant, or an offer can be made by the Tenant to rent to purchase.
Rental amounts are based on the loan repayment, and subsidies are provided by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation for maintenance and other operating costs.
– Must be a member of the Mohawks of Akwesasne
– Must not hold a Certificate of Possession of land with the Mohawks of Akwesasne
– Must have ability to repay
– Must be willing to sign and accept all conditions of the Section 95 Rental Agreement
– Application must be completed and updated once a year
– Must have a good credit rating as confimed with identified references on application
– Must not have arrears with the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne
The Department of Housing has approximately 75 Rent to Own Units and 75 Rental units available to community members. These units are a combination of Band built units and units built under CMHC. Rental amounts vary please contact Department of Housing for information 613 575 -2250 x2300.
Criteria for Approval:
- Must be a member of the Mohawks of Akwesasne
- Must be 18 years of age
Selections are based on date of application, however letters of support from other agencies, i.e. Child and Family Services, Doctor’s, Violence Shelter, will put applicant on priority list.