With the large list for repairs and renovations the Mohawk Council Housing Authority has developed the Upgrade Program that will allow homeowners to gradually start to maintain, repair and renovate their homes to the type of condition that they are comfortable with.
The program provides what is necessary to allow safe, healthy and efficient homes. With the utilization of this program, the list for repairs should lower and the lifetime of the homes should increase. The main goal of most homeowners is to want to renovate, however to get to this state, you must work through the Maintenance and Repair program.
The program will provide funding for the following:
- Maintenance: Small loans for maintenance or emergency type situations
- Repair: provide up to $8,000.00 for repairs, no renovations.
- Renovation: provide up to $12,000.00 to allow for upgrading windows, flooring, additions, etc.
This program was derived from the New Federal Housing Policy through Indian Affairs, in which one time funding would be made available to address existing homes or stock.
Criteria for Approval:
- Applicant must be a member of the Mohawks of Akwesasne
- Applicant must be owner of house, and must be primary residence.
- Applicant must have good credit history with the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne
When all these requirements are met, their names go onto a waiting list and are selected by date of application. Verified reports indicating health and safety concerns can move applicant to top of list but still must meet the criteria.