MCA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH COMMUNITY UPDATE (MARCH 31, 2020)
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne’s Department of Health is working tirelessly to ensure that essential programs and services continue to be delivered to the community. Public Health Ontario has provided free, public resources on self-isolation, self-monitoring, and more. Visit their website at: https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/diseases-and-conditions/infectious-diseases/respiratory-diseases/novel-coronavirus/public-resources
• Wholistic Health and Wellness Addictions Services continues to refer to detox services – the service providers within networks are following COVID-19 prevention protocols to facilitate in-person services. If someone needs to access these services or to help cope with anxiety please call 613-575-2341 ext. 3109.
• Wholistic Health and Wellness Mental Health have set up a mental health support line for community members and staff at (844) 244-1060 – this is a 24/7 line to reach local mental health workers from Akwesasne. This dedicated line was set up to ensure our community can always reach someone from Akwesasne, if you need it.
• Department of Health Administration is monitoring the progression of COVID-19 cases in the Eastern Ontario region, and have updated the guidelines as follows:
• No organized public events and social gatherings of more than five (5) people allowed, effective immediately. This does not apply to private households with five people or more.
• Dr. Horn’s Medical Clinic is resuming services in the Akwesasne community this week, and will be visiting residents at Iakhihsohtha Lodge and Tsiionkwanonhso:te Longterm Care weekly.
• Dr. Danielle Dubuc’s Optometry Office is also closed until further notice. If a community member is having an eye emergency, please call Akwesasne Non-Insured Health Benefits to be referred to the emergency on-call referral optometrists in Cornwall. Akwesasne Non-Insured Health Benefits can be reached at 613-575-2341 ext. 3340.
• Katelyn Fedorak and Janet Brant, NP will be seeing patients at the Kawehno:ke Medical Clinic on an urgent care only basis.
• Iakhihsohtha Home for the Elderly staff have maintained operations for residents in the facility, and are well stocked with food and supplies – ensuring our Totas are being well taken care of. Staff have been reaching out to residents’ families to keep them updated, setting up FaceTime video conferencing with family when possible. Visit MCA’s Facebook Page for messages from the residents at Iakhihsohtha.
• Tsiionkwanonhso:te Longterm Care Facility staff have also maintained operations for residents in the facility, and are also well stocked with food and supplies. Staff have been reaching out to resident’s families to keep them updated on the wellbeing of their loved ones.
• Please be advised that access to the Kanonhkwa’tsheri:io Health Facility is limited to MCA employees only, who will be required to complete a daily health screening for respiratory symptoms before continuing into the building. Please call the front desk at 613-575-2341 and your call will be directed accordingly.
• Akwesasne Mohawk Ambulance is advising community to honestly report their travel history when speaking with emergency medical technicians, 9-1-1, and MCA dispatchers. The Akwesasne Mohawk Ambulance service and other first responders will respond to emergency calls even if a person is at risk for COVID-19.
• Community Health Nurses remain operational and have been responding to all questions on COVID-19, and are following up with existing clients.
• Home Care/Home Support hours have changed to: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and they are only providing service to priority clientele.
• Proxim Pharmacy now has curbside service available at Kanonkwa’tsheri:io, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you are sick, they ask that you please call ahead to make arrangements at 613-575-1160 or 613-575-2341 – ext. 3250, 3234.
• Akwesasne Dental Clinic is closed until further notice, and in the event of a dental emergency please contact 613-935-5516.
• Physiotherapy will be cancelled until further notice.
• Dr. Saylor — pediatric appointments will be cancelled until further notice.
• Dr. Levac will be providing telephone follow-ups for upcoming appointments only.
• Dr. Torres — appointments at the Kawehno:ke Medical Clinic will be cancelled until further notice.
• Dr. Funnell — appointments at the Kawehno:ke Medical Clinic will be cancelled until further notice.
Kawehno:ke Medical Clinic – (613) 575-2341 ext. 1110 or (613) 932-5808
Akwesasne Medical Clinic – (613) 575-2341 ext. 3215
Wholistic Health & Wellness Support Line – (844) 244-1060