OVS CALL OUT FOR COUNCIL OF ELDERS
The Office of Vital Statistics is looking for interested community members to be appointed to serve on the Council of Elders.
The Council of Elders are appointed by the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne to carry out their duties and responsibilities as defined in the Akwesasne Membership Code, the Charter of the Council of Elders and the Council of Elders Procedure Regulations, dealing exclusively with appeals from the community relating to the Akwesasne Membership Board’s decisions.
To qualify for appointment as a member of the Council of Elders or as an Alternate, a person must:
- be a registered Member or immediately entitled to be registered as a Member of Akwesasne under the Akwesasne Membership Code (does not include probationary Members);
- be thirty-five (35) years of age or older on the appointment date;
- be a resident in the Territory of Akwesasne within the jurisdiction of Mohawk Council for at least ten (10) years prior to their appointment;
- must be Onkwehonwe, which for the purposes of this Charter means that both their natural parents must be of Native ancestry with at least one parent being a member of Akwesasne;
- have a good character, credibility and reputation in the Akwesasne community;
- not be an elected Member of the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne; and
- not be a Justice of the Mohawk Court.
Community members have until Monday, November 13, 2017 to indicate their interest in serving on the Council of Elders, as either an Elder or as an Alternate. If you are interested please contact the Office of Vital Statistics at (613) 575-2250 ext. 1013.