AKWESASNE LEGISLATIVE COMMISSION CALL-OUT DISTRICTS OF KAWEHNO:KE AND KANA:TAKON
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne’s Akwesasne Justice Department is seeking community representatives from the District of Kawehno:ke and Kana:takon interested in becoming members of the Akwesasne Legislative Commission.
To qualify for appointment to the Akwesasne Legislative Commission a person must:
- Be a Member of the Mohawks of Akwesasne;
- Have knowledge of Mohawk cultures and traditions;
- Have good character, credibility and reputation in the Akwesasne community;
- Have good communication skills;
- Be “in good standing” as defined in the Akwesasne Good Standing Policy;
- Not be a Council member of the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne; the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Council; or, the Mohawk Nation Council of Chiefs;
- Never have been convicted of an offense under the Akwesasne Banishment Law, the Akwesasne Drug Law, an indictable offense in Canada or a felony in the United States;
- Produce to the Director of the Akwesasne Justice Department a valid certificate from the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC);
- Attend and actively participate in training deemed essential for the successful operation of the Akwesasne Legislative Commission;
- Attend regularly scheduled Akwesasne Legislative Commission meetings to conduct business and attend Public Meetings as scheduled;
- Maintain residence in their District during tenure or maintain residence in Akwesasne as a Member; and
- Sign the Oath of Appointment within 30 days of appointment.