CALL OUT CHIEF ELECTORAL OFFICER (CEO)/CHIEF REFERENDUM OFFICER (CRO)
MCA EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR IS IN SEARCH OF
INTERESTED ELIGIBLE VOTER TO SERVE AS:
CHIEF ELECTORAL OFFICER (CEO)/CHIEF REFERENDUM OFFICER (CRO)
Term: December 31, 2017 to December 31, 2020
Salary: $20.00 per hour during Training and Election Preparation
$28.00 per hour during Nomination and Voting Process
(Any work hours over 10 will be set at a higher rate)
Summary of Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the appointed individual - One (1) appointee - will oversee the election process. The CEO/CRO ensures General Elections are conducted pursuant to the Akwesasne Election Law MCR 2005/2006 - #192 (or any successor law) and conduct referenda in accordance with the General Referendum Regulations. The appointed person will also administer elections for other elected bodies under the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne (Akwesasne Mohawk Board of Education, etc.). The CEO/CRO is responsible to ensure all Deputy Electoral Officers (DEO)/Deputy Referendum Officers (DRO) and their alternates are trained in administering the election process in accordance with the Akwesasne Election Law. Duties of the CEO/CRO are as follows:
• Must attend all scheduled training sessions;
• Process Voter applications in accordance with the Akwesasne Election Law or MCA’s General Referendum Regulations;
• Provide information and answer questions asked by community members regarding the process of a General Election, By- Election, or Referendum;
• Prepare and update the Voters’ List;
• Prepare a press release for the community;
• Recommend and assist in the selection of Electoral Officers and Referendum Officers;
• Supervise Electoral Officers and Referendum Officers including training, direction, and oversight of Officers;
• Monitor persons during voting such as the Appointed Observers;
• Coordinate and oversee the Polling Stations and other facilities used for Elections and Referenda for MCA;
• Prepare reports to the Executive Director;
• Perform own clerical duties;
The interested individual must:
• Be at least 21 years of age or older;
• Be an eligible Voter as defined under the Akwesasne Election Law;
• Have a high school diploma;
• Be reliable and willing to work flexible hours;
• Have good character;
• Be in good standing in accordance with MCA’s Good Standing Policy;
• Be impartial and courteous to all electors;
• Pass a criminal reference check;
• Be willing to testify in an election hearing, if necessary.
Previous experience as a CEO or DEO is considered an asset.
The ability to speak and understand the Mohawk Language is an asset.
The interested individual must abide by MCA’s Respect in the Workplace Policy, Social Media Policy and must consent to a criminal reference check (CPIC).
Pursuant to the Akwesasne Election Law section 4.3 “No sitting member of Mohawk Council of Akwesasne, Justice of the Peace, or Justices of the Akwesasne Mohawk Court shall be eligible to be Chief Electoral Officer.”
Interested individuals can submit a letter of interest to the Executive Director located in the Administrative Building #1 in Kana:takon (St. Regis) Quebec. The letter of interest can be mailed to: Attention: Executive Director P.O. Box 90, Akwesasne Quebec H0M 1A0.
Letters of interest should be received on or before 12:00 p.m. (noon), December 28, 2017.
If selected, the person must submit a valid CPIC, at their own expense, to the Executive Director within seven days before an appointment is made. Failure to submit a CPIC will disqualify the person.