CALL OUT FOR AKWESASNE LICENSING COMMISSION MEMBERS
The Mohawks of Akwesasne passed MCR 2016/17 #075 Akwesasne Oie’n:kwa Kaianere’nhsera (Akwesasne Tobacco Law) recognizing the Akwesasne Licensing Commission as the body having authority and responsibility to administer Tobacco Licensing Laws and to issue licenses to conduct business in the Territory of Akwesasne.
The Akwesasne Licensing Commission is currently operating with an interim body until Council appoints interested, capable community members who will be actively involved in fulfilling the responsibility of the Akwesasne Licensing Commission. At this time Mohawk Council of Akwesasne is inviting community members to submit a letter of interest to apply for an appointment to the Akwesasne Licensing Commission.
Explain in your letter how you meet or exceed the Akwesasne Licensing Commission criteria:
- be a Member of the Mohawks of Akwesasne;
- have knowledge of Mohawk cultures and traditions;
- have good character, credibility and reputation in the Akwesasne community;
- have good communication skills;
- be “in good standing” as defined in the Akwesasne Good Standing Policy;
- not be an elected member of the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne, or a hereditary Chief from the Mohawk Nation Council of Chiefs;
- not be an employee of the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne;
- not be an permit or license holder of Akwesasne Tobacco Law, its regulations or Tax –Exempt Tobacco pilot program;
- never have been convicted of an offense under the Akwesasne Banishment Law, the Akwesasne Drug Law, an indictable offense in Canada
- be able to participate and actively participate in training deemed essential for the successful operation of the Akwesasne Licensing Commission; and
- be available to attend monthly scheduled Akwesasne Licensing Commission meetings to conduct business, attend and represent the Akwesasne Licensing Commission at public meetings as scheduled.
The Akwesasne Licensing Commission shall consist of three members with:
- one (1) Member from each District in the jurisdiction of Council;
- Members shall be compensated per meeting as prescribed in the regulations.
If you are interested in serving a term on the Akwesasne Licensing Commission, please contact Economic Development, Tobacco Compliance Officer, Mark Martin located at CIA#3, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 613-575-2250 ext.1057.
Deadline to submit your letter of interest is February 02, 2018 at 4:00pm