Mohawk Council Of Akwesasne Callout For Youth Representatives
Tsiothóhrha/December 31, 2015
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne is calling for community members to sit on the Akwesasne Youth Council, which will consist of six (6) representatives with staggered terms of two (2) to three (3) years. Applicants’ letter of interest should state eligibility, as listed below:
- be enrolled or have an active applicant to be a Member of the Mohawks of Akwesasne, pursuant to the Akwesasne Membership Code;
- be between the age of 18 to 29 years at the time of appointment;
- reside in one of the three districts of Akwesasne: Kawehno:ke, Kana:takon or Tsi Snaihne;
- must have a clear Criminal Reference Check (CPIC) prior to appointment and not be convicted of any criminal charges during appointment term;
- possess or be pursuing a high school diploma or general equivalency degree;
- and must be prepared to identify their vision and goals for Akwesasne youth.
The Youth Council Terms of Reference are available on request. The Akwesasne Youth Council will meet on a regular basis to coordinate youth initiatives for Akwesasne. Responsibilities include:
- To adhere to the guidelines outlined within the terms of reference;
- Share ideas and issues, recommendations and/or solutions with MCA;
- Liaise with Grand Chief and Council on a regular and as needed basis and provide routine activity reports to Council.
- Be committed to being a positive role model, promote a positive lifestyle and be respectful to all;
- Support and work with Akwesasne youth initiatives;
- Build positive working relationships with other First Nation youth, communities, governments and organizations;
- Act as a resource and a representative for the community at all levels;
- Raise financial resources to support the activities and initiatives of the Akwesasne Youth Council;
- Advocate for programs and create/support partnerships for Akwesasne youth;
- Act as the representative for Akwesasne youths’ perspective in all matters;
- Agree to be punctual while on Youth Council business;
- Attend all Youth Council and relative meetings on time and in its entirety;
- Agree to follow-up on all youth business directly affecting youth and reply to all requests within the time frame given or in absence of given time, in a timely fashion;
- To actively participate in youth forums at the local, regional, and federal levels as requested.
Candidates are requested to submit their letter of interest with resume to Adrianne Jacobs, at email@example.com or by mail/in person to the Mohawk Government Offices located at 29 Third St, Akwesasne, QC H0M 1A0 (Old G & L Building II near Area Management Board Offices in Kana:takon) by Tuesday, January 19th, 2016 by 4:00pm. Please provide the best way to contact you and include your phone number, e-mail, and mailing address. If you would like information on creating a resume, please visit: http://www.youth.gc.ca/eng/topics/jobs/resume.shtml
For further information, questions, and/or if you need assistance with your application please do not hesitate to contact the Mohawk Government offices at (613) 575-2348 extension 2269.