Recreational Cannabis Frequently Asked Questions
1. When is recreational cannabis legal in Canada?
a. October 17, 2018
2. Can I start selling recreational cannabis on October 17, 2018?
a. No. MCA is currently working out the licensing process under the Akwesasne Interim Cannabis Regulation.
3. Can I apply for a business licence to sell recreational cannabis out of my house?
a. No, a retail location will be required.
4. Where can I apply for a business licence to sell recreational cannabis out of a retail store?
a. The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne is currently working on WHERE to apply
for the licence, and an update will be provided in the next few weeks.
5. Where can I purchase cannabis legally in Ontario?
a. On October 17th, you can purchase online through OCS – the Ontario Cannabis
6. Where can I purchase cannabis legally in Quebec?
a. On October 17th, you can purchase online through Quebec cannabis agency
(SQDC) stores through SAQ-managed Société Québécoise du Cannabis (SQC)
7. When can I purchase cannabis in Ontario at a retail brick-and-mortar store?
a. April 2019 is the estimated date for retail stores to open in Ontario.
8. If I legally purchase cannabis in Ontario can I bring it to Kana:takon or
Tsi Snaihne by driving in my car?
a. No. Transporting cannabis from Ontario through the U.S portion of
Akwesasne and through New York and the U.S Customs is illegal.
9. How do I know the cannabis I purchase is legal?
a. Right now in Akwesasne there are no legal retail store options.
b. In Ontario there are online stores available as of October 17th.
c. In Quebec there are online stores and retail stores as of October 17th.
10. What are the requirements to get a licence within the Akwesasne Interim Cannabis Regulation?
a. MCA currently does not have an application. In the next few weeks an
application will be available and an announcement will be made.
11. What would happen if I open a cannabis store without a licence?
a. It will be illegal to open a cannabis store without a licence. Sanctions will be
enforced and will jeopardize future licensing requests.
12. Can I travel with my legally purchased cannabis from one district to another?
a. Crossing into the United States portion with legally purchased cannabis in
Canada is still illegal in the United States/New York and will put you at risk
for importing/possession and potentially other charges.
13. What if I have medical cannabis?
a. Medical cannabis prescribed by a health care practitioner for medicinal
purposes provides legal options of purchasing safe, quality-controlled
cannabis from one of the producers licensed by Health Canada.
14. Can I transport my medical cannabis through Akwesasne?
a. Transportation of medical cannabis through the United States portion of
Akwesasne is still illegal even though it was purchased legally in Canada.
15. Recreational cannabis is not intended for medical purposes.
Please see your health care practitioner for medicinal cannabis.
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne encourages everyone to be responsible and diligent
when choosing to use or consume cannabis. Do not operate a motor vehicle or heavy
equipment under the influence of cannabis. Do not provide cannabis to minors.