REFERENDUM CALLED FOR FINAL DRAFT OF AKWESASNE ELECTION LAW AMENDMENTS
The Chief Referendum Officer (Chief Electoral Officer) Leona Benedict hereby gives notice of an upcoming referendum on the final draft of the Akwesasne Election Law Amendments.
The Akwesasne Election Law Amendments will only be passed with the approval of the community by referendum. The proposed/draft Akwesasne Election Law Amendments can be found on the MCA website www.akwesasne.ca, or by visiting the Akwesasne Justice Department at the Angus Mitchell Memorial Building in Kana:takon.
Polling stations will be set up on Saturday, December 9, 2023 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the following locations:
- District of Kawehno:ke – Ahkwesahsne Mohawk School (AMS)
- District of Tsi Snaihne – Tsi Snaihne School
- District of Kana:takon – Kana:takon School
To inquire about in-home voting, please call 613-575-5000 ext. 2406 for more information and/or to schedule an appointment.
If you are a member of the Mohawks of Akwesasne, as per the Akwesasne Membership Code, and your name is on the Referendum Voters List, you will be eligible to vote.
Voters Lists will be posted at the following locations:
- Kawehno:ke – Bank of Montreal (BMO)
- Tsi Snaihne – Iohahi:io Akwesasne Education & Training Institute
- Kana:takon – Canada Post Office