Tsikaristisere/Dundee Claim Settlement Agreement Special Referendum
Tsikaristisere/Dundee Claim Information Site
From the Office of the Chief Referendum Officer hereby gives notice of an upcoming referendum on the Tsikaristisere/Dundee Claim Settlement Agreement. The ballot question to be voted on in the referendum is:
‘As a Voter of the Mohawks of Akwesasne, do you:
(a) approve the terms and conditions of the Tsikaristisere/Dundee Claim Settlement Agreement initialed by negotiators for the Mohawks of Akwesasne and Canada, which settles and releases the Tsikaristisere/Dundee Claim; and
(b) authorize and direct the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne to execute all documents and do everything necessary to give effect to the Tsikaristisere/Dundee Claim Settlement Agreement?’
The Settlement Agreement will only be signed with approval of the community by referendum.
The referendum on the Tsikaristisere/Dundee Claim Settlement Agreement will be conducted through referendum polling stations on Saturday, December 8, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at the following locations:
- District of Kawehno:ke – Kawehno:ke Recreation Center
- District of Tsi Snaihne – Tsi Snaihne Recreation Center
- District of Kana:takon – Kana:takon Recreation Center
- Southern Portion of Akwesasne – Location to be announced once confirmed
Unassisted Online Voting for this referendum will open on Monday, October 1, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. EST and will close on Friday, December 7, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
Referendum Officers will be going Door-to-Door throughout Akwesasne to assist Eligible Referendum Voters with completing their ballots from Monday, October 1, 2018 through Friday, December 7, 2018.
The following are the eligibility requirements to participate in this referendum:
- Persons who at the time of voting are Members of the Mohawks of Akwesasne
- Persons who at the time of voting have attained eighteen (18) years of age
- Persons who at the time of voting have been added to the Referendum Voters List based on the first two criteria
The deadline to add or remove names from the Referendum Voters List is Monday, September 24, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. Referendum Voters Lists will be placed at the following locations:
- District of Kawehno:ke – Bank of Montreal, Jocks Convenience Store, Express Gas
- District of Tsi Snaihne – Iohahi:io Adult Education Centre, OK Den
- District of Kana:takon – Post Office, Butters Quick Stop, Village Check Cashing
- Southern Portion of Akwesasne – Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe Administration Building Lobby, Tsi Tetewatatkens – Office for the Aging
The referendum on the Tsikaristisere/Dundee Claim Settlement Agreement will close on Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
Ballots from the referendum polling station will be counted on Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. EST and results from the Online Voting period will be read prior to counting. Counting will occur at the St. Regis Recreation Centre.
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne is working with Simply Voting, an independent consulting company specializing in online voting. Simply Voting will setup security features requiring proper identification with date of birth and status number information to access the online ballot.