At Relay For Life, you will:
- Be inspired by cancer survivors – or provide inspiration yourself!
- Take turns walking, running or strolling around a track in a non-competitive relay.
- Give 6 hours to the fight against cancer – and it could add years to the lives of others.
- Relax and have fun off the track, enjoying activities and entertainment in a “tent village”.
- Learn about cancer issues and how to reduce your risk of the disease.
“Tent village”: At Relay, participants will pitch canopy/tents decorated in their theme that will serve as their team headquarters. Your Team “tent/dwelling” area will be 10 feet x15 feet. Teams are encouraged to make it “home” for the event. (Suggestion: Erect a 8’x8’ or 10’x10’ sunshade/tent, construct a “dwelling” with walls, add furniture, etc). Have FUN!
Survivors’ Victory Lap: Cancer survivors are individually introduced during the opening ceremonies and are invited to walk the first lap of the Relay. The Survivors’ Victory Lap acknowledges and celebrates their courage in their struggle with the disease. Once the Survivors’ Victory Lap is completed, the Relay participants join in.
Luminary Ceremony: Luminaries are lights placed in paper bags that line the Relay track. Each bears the name of a loved one who has either survived cancer (In Honour) or lost their life to the disease (In Memory). The lights are lit in a moving ceremony at 10pm, providing light and inspiration as participants walk the track.
Activities and entertainment: Throughout the evening, participants enjoy a variety of lively entertainment and activities.
Recruit nine team members and arrange a team meeting (if you don’t have nine that’s fine!)
- Discuss and select a team name and theme (Relay event theme is Movies and TV)
- Select a co-captain to help you along the way.
- Consider dedicating your team to someone.
- Register yourself and your team online (see below if not using online system).
- Distribute paperwork to team members (pledge envelope, waiver, payment sheet, luminary form and survivor form).
- Encourage team to fundraise and set a goal ($150.00 is recommended per team member)
- Register your team members online or; complete the Team Log and return it to your local Canadian Cancer Society office along with your team registration fees ($15 per team member, free registration for survivors).