Department of Economic Development (1)
The Department of Economic Development is embarking on a path to attract clean business and industry to the Akwesasne Territory as a means to create local employment opportunities and stimulate the Akwesasne economy.
The Department of Economic Development provides assistance to Akwesasronon for business development, business planning, Council owned projects such as Skakarati Sub-division, Alternative Energy Project, Administer Quebec grants AIF, also assistance in some training
- To initiate a community campaign to “Support Akwesasne Businesses” by buying locally.
- To assist people who are expanding or starting a business.
- To assist the community to become more self-sufficient through the creation of a strong economic base.
- To increase tourism and promote Akwesasne to outside consumers and businesses.
- To offer Entrepreneurship informational courses.
- To manage the Peace Tree Mall, Stanley Island cabins, and Thompson Island Cultural Camp.
- To maintain partnerships with Akwesasne Area Management Board, Ohwista Corporation, Akwesasne Economic Development Agency, and Iohahí:io Akwesasne Education & Training Institute.
PROGRAMS & SERVICES
- Program Training/Partnerships
- Community-Related Projects
- Economic Development Fund Program
- Aboriginal Business Canada
- Resource Access Negotiations
- Community Grants Program
- Opportunity Funds
- Peace Tree Mall
- A’nowara’ko:wa Arena
- Thompson Island Cultural Camp
- Akwesasne Skatepark
- Starting and Expanding a Business in Akwesasne
- Akwesasne Business Directory
- Akwesasne Education & Training Handbook
The Business Services Officer provides information on the programs and services available to entrepreneurs
- Rental units available to Akwesasne entrepreneurs
- Business Registrations
- Skakarati – Market-based housing available
- 12-week entrepreneur course & other workshops
Give us a call to see if we can help you, or drop by our office and talk to us. It is probably a good idea to call us first and set up an appointment so we can make plenty of time to go over what you are looking at doing. You must be a registered member of the Mohawks of Akwesasne and if you are to get financial assistance, you must be in good standing with the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne.
Peace Tree Mall
167 International Road
Akwesasne, ON K6H 5R7
Phone: (613) 575-2250 ext. 1802
- INDIGENOUS PEOPLES DAY & GO SKATEBOARDING DAY 2023Join the Akwesasne Skatepark on Wednesday, June 21, 2023 for Indigenous Peoples Day + Go […]
- LEGENDS & STORIES: FROG STORYThompson Island Cultural Camp is excited to host another session in their Legends & Stories […]
- KANIEN’KEHA CRASH COURSE CHALLENGE — TEWATEWENNÁWEIENSTThompson Island Cultural Camp is excited to host the Kanien’keha Crash Course Challenge! Participants will […]
- EMERGENCY KIT GIVEAWAYThompson Island Cultural Camp and the MCA Wholistic Health & Wellness Program have teamed up […]
- DEPT. OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT RFQ: EV CHARGING STATION INSTALLATIONThe Mohawk Council of Akwesasne’s Department of Economic Development is requesting quotes from contractors for […]