“Buy Local Buy Akwesasne”
The Economic Development Program within the Department of Tehotiiennawakon supports the growth and development of a clean and sustainable Akwesasne economy through the development of economic wealth generators, business development and by delivering training and finance programs to Akwesasronon.
Comprehensive Community Plan Spring 2016
Vision Statement: Akwesasne is a united and self-sufficient community. We take pride in our culture and language and enjoy a prosperous, safe and healthy community. We care for our environment, our elders, and the future of our children and grandchildren.
- Governance: Self governing and safe community.
- Environment: Better management of lands, monitor and protect environment, and improve community infrastructure.
- Economy: Create more jobs and business opportunities and expand our education services.
- Community: Increase fluency in Mohawk language, take pride in our history and culture, increase access to sufficient and affordable housing, improve our health and well-being, supports our elders and special need, improve access to social services, and sup-port our community’s recreational needs.
Akwesasne Economic Leakage Study – Spring 2014
- The economic activity of the Akwesasne Mohawk Territory is approximately $140 million.
- Household Expenditures -$53.4 million
- Business expenditures -$16.6 million
- MCA Expenditures – $37.1 million
- Seventy-six percent (76%) or $107 million is spent outside the community.
- Grow the economy
- Reduce economic leakage
Akwesasne Labour Market Information Study 2015-2016
- Unemployment Rate – 22.6%
- 2640 people will be within age range to enter the labour market in the next 10 years.
- Top 5 Training needs of participating Akwesasne employers for the next 5 years:
- Management and Leadership Skills
- First line customer service
- Developing sales strategies, managing sales teams, selling techniques
- Basic bookkeeping
- Communication skills (written, oral and listening)