AKWESASNE EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT LAW: COMMUNITY CONSULTATION SESSIONS
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne through MCR 2020/2021 – #265, dated January 19, 2021, established a Working Task Group to draft an emergency response law.
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne through MCR 2022/2023 – #173, dated October 2, 2022, “Accepts in Principle” the Draft Emergency Management Law, dated September 26, 2022.
The draft law will now proceed to Phase III of the Akwesasne Legislative Enactment Procedural Regulation – Community Consultation.
The purpose of the law is to:
- Protect the health, safety, and welfare of persons within the Territory during a declared State of Emergency;
- Protect the environment and economy within the Territory;
- Implement emergency response measures that are appropriate for Akwesasne;
- Harmonize Akwesasne’s emergency response measures with neighboring jurisdictions; and
- Provide guidance with respect to the enforcement of emergency orders in Akwesasne.
The Mohawks of Akwesasne have the right to preserve and promote the health, safety, and welfare of members during emergencies, and to maintain law and order in the Territory.
Community Consultation Sessions to present the draft law to the community for feedback and comments have been coordinated as follows:
Monday, January 30, 2023
Kawehno:ke Recreation Centre (6-8 p.m.)
Tuesday, January 31, 2023
Kana:takon Recreation Centre (6-8 p.m.)
Wednesday, February 1, 2023
Snye Homemakers (6-8 p.m.)
PLEASE NOTE: Should there be no community members in attendance by 6:30 p.m. in any given session, the session will be considered closed.
Copies of the Draft Law can also be obtained at the following locations: Administration I and Angus Mitchell Memorial Building in Kana:takon, Iohahi:io in Tsi Snaihne, and the CIA #3 Building on Kawehno:ke.
Appointments to provide your comments/feedback can be arranged by contacting the Justice Coordinator at 613-575-2250 ext. 2403. Comments can also be emailed to email@example.com.