BACK-TO-SCHOOL SAFETY TIPS FROM AMPS
As children head back to school, the Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service is reminding motorists to slow down and pay attention. Traffic enforcement will be conducted in school zones and in areas of bus stops.
Police encourage motorists to exercise caution when driving near schools, bus stops, and anywhere children may be walking near a road. Pay attention to parking restrictions around schools and do not park in intersections.
Parking restrictions at the three district schools (Kana:takon, Tsi Snaihne, Ahkwesahsne Mohawk School) are from 8:00 AM – 8:45 AM and 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM.
The Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service is asking everyone to be mindful of the following safety tips:
- Plan ahead and leave a bit earlier for your commute to accommodate the school bus stops and traffic backups.
- Always wear your seat belt and ensure passengers are wearing seat belts before operating a motor vehicle.
- Motorist and cyclist need to watch for school buses and be sure to pay attention to their lights; overhead flashing yellow lights mean you should prepare to stop; overhead flashing red lights means stop.
- Keep an eye out for children crossing the street, especially during the early morning pick-up and late afternoon drop-off.
- Teach your children the rules of traffic safety and school bus etiquette.
- Avoid letting children walk to or from school alone.
- Remind youth that if waiting for a bus or walking to school, to never get in a car with a stranger, even if they offer a ride or ask for their help. Tell your kids that adults should only ask other adults for help, not children, and teach them to trust their instincts and get help when needed.
The Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service encourages the community to report unsafe and dangerous driving behaviors by calling Akwesasne Central Dispatch at 613-575-2000. Follow the Akwesasne Mohawk Police on social media (Facebook/Instagram) for more safety tips.