CALLOUT FOR AKWESASNE REVIEW COMMISSION MEMBERS
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne is currently filling three (3) vacant seats on the Akwesasne Review Commission (ARC). One (1) vacant seat for the district of Kana:takon, with a term of three (3) years; One (1) vacant seat for the district of Kawehno:ke, with a term of three (3) years, and One (1) vacant seat for the district of Tsi Snaihne, with a term of three (3) years.
The Akwesasne Review Commission was established as an independent body to hold every Justice and every member of a Decision-Making Body accountable to the community by enabling their conduct to be examined fairly and impartially pursuant to the Charter. The Akwesasne Review Commission shall have exclusive responsibility to receive, investigate and decide upon a complaint made in respect of the conduct of every Justice and every member of a Decision-Making Body.
The honorarium rate for this position is determined by Council’s Honorarium Policy, which is $25 hourly for meetings, training, investigation or complaint-related sessions and drafting decisions.
To qualify for appointment to the Akwesasne Review Commission, a candidate must:
• be a Member;
• have attained the age of thirty-five (35) years of age;
• have been in the territory of a First Nation for a least ten(10) years and within the past fifteen (15) years;
• have good character, credibility and reputation in the Akwesasne community;
• have knowledge of Mohawk cultures and traditions;
• have adequate education and relevant work or life experience, and possess an interest in the settling of disputes;
• not be an elected member of Council or the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Council, or an employee of the Akwesasne Justice Department;
• not be a Tsionkweta Teshakowennakhwa (Duty Counsel) or Raontiwennakara:tats (Prosecutor);
• never have been convicted of an offense under the Akwesasne Banishment Law, the Akwesasne Drug Law, an indictable offense in Canada or a felony in the United States;
• not have been convicted of an offense under Akwesasne Law, a summary conviction offense in Canada, or a misdemeanor in the United States in the past five(5) years;
• produce to the Director of the Akwesasne Justice Department a valid certificate from the Canadian Police Information Centre;
• never have been previously removed from the Akwesasne Review Commission; and
• be considered as “in good standing” with the Akwesasne Good Standing Policy.
Interested candidates are required to complete an Akwesasne Review Committee Application, which is available at the Akwesasne Justice Department. Candidates are also required to submit a letter of interest outlining how the applicant meets the qualifications for appointment.
All interested applicants are asked to submit completed packages no later than Monday, Tsíothohrha/December 30, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
If you have any questions regarding this community notice or wish to submit an Akwesasne Review Commission Application you may contact:
Akwesasne Justice Department
Attn.: Paralegal, Rosebud Cook/Akwesasne Review Commission
PO Box 90
Akwesasne QC H0M 1A1
613-575-2250 ext. 2414
View the Akwesasne Review Commission application forms here: