CALLOUT FOR COUNCIL OF ELDERS
The Office of Vital Statistics is looking for community members who may be interested in sitting as a member or as an alternate on the Council of Elders. The Council of Elders are appointed by the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne to deal exclusively with appeals relating to decisions made by the Akwesasne Membership Board.
To qualify for appointment as a member of the Council of Elders or as an alternate, a person must:
• be a registered Member or immediately entitled to be registered as a Member of Akwesasne under the Akwesasne Membership Code (does not include Probationary Members);
• be thirty-five (35) years of age or older on the appointment date;
• be a resident in the Territory of Akwesasne within the jurisdiction of Mohawk Council of Akwesasne for at least ten (10) years prior to their appointment;
• must be Onkwehonwe, which for the purposes of this Charter means that both of their natural parents must be of Native ancestry with at least one parent being a member of Akwesasne;
• have good character, credibility, and reputation in the Akwesasne community;
• not be an elected Member of the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne; and
• not be a Justice of the Mohawk Court.
The deadline to indicate your interest is Friday, March 13, 2020. If you are interested please contact Tina Mitchell, A/OVS Manager or Carol Lafrance, Membership Officer at 613-575-2250 ext. 1011.