CANADA EMERGENCY RELIEF BENEFIT & EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE INFORMATION
Akwesasne Career & Employment Support Services Can Assist You
CANADA EMERGENCY RELIEF BENEFIT (CERB)
Will provide a benefit of $2,000 every 4 weeks for up to 16 weeks to eligible workers who have lost their income due to COVID-19.
The CERB is available to workers who meet all of the following conditions:
• Reside in Canada and are at least 15 years old.
• Stopped working because of COVID-19 or are eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits.
• Have not voluntarily quit their job.
• Had an income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application.
• You can earn up to $1,000 from working per month while still remaining eligible to collect CERB.
• Seasonal workers who have exhausted their regular EI benefits and are unable to undertakes their regular seasonal work because of COVID-19.
• Workers who have recently exhausted their regular EI benefits and are unable to find a job due to COVID-19.
An online questionnaire will direct you to the service option that best fits your situation (ex. eligibility for Employment Insurance benefits or not):
You can also apply over the phone 1-800-959-2041 or 1-800-959-2019.
The CERB is non-taxable for those whose income is already exempt from provincial and federal tax.
EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE (EI)
EI provides regular benefits to individuals who lose their jobs through no fault of their own and are available for and able to work, but can’t find a job.
You may be entitled to EI regular benefits if you:
• were employed in insurable employment;
• lost your job through no fault of your own;
• have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks;
• have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours (700) in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter;
• are ready, willing and capable of working each day;
• are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them).
You can apply online at https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit/apply.html.
Dan Garrow, Employment Officer with the Akwesasne Career and Employment Support Services (ACESS), will be helping community members with CERB and EI benefits. Dan will be available Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. To reach Dan during those hours, please phone 613-575-2626 or stop in at ACESS.