COMMUNITY CALL OUT: OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE ON LEGISLATIVE DEVELOPMENT
As per MCA 2021/2022 #055, the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne has approved the creation of an Oversight Committee on Legislative Development with working task groups. The purpose of the Oversight Committee is to draft legislation that protects, exercises, and advances the inherent rights of the Mohawks of Akwesasne in accordance with the principles of peace, respect, and fairness.
The committee will oversee legislative development; receive Council and community input; provide community guidance and direction in the development of laws; and, consider and balance the diversity of perspectives within Akwesasne’s community.
The Oversight Committee on Legislative Development consists of 3 District Community Members and two justice portfolio Chiefs and the Justice Coordinator. They will be responsible for listening to diverse community comments and formulating a harmony of community opinion and Council legislative priorities. The committee will also have the task of overseeing the legislative development of the working task groups.
The Committee will work in accordance with the Law Enactment Procedural Regulation while maintaining a committed engagement with the community and act as a bridge of mutual commutation between Community Members and Council. The responsibilities of the Oversight Committee are to establish Legislative priorities for inclusion in the Justice operating plan; jointly oversee legislative development between Council and District Community Members; and utilize working task groups as 3 subcommittees to produce one law per year for a total of 3 Akwesasne Laws. The term of office will expire on the same date as the terms of office for the MCA elected terms.
Community Members who are selected to be a member of the committee will receive an honorarium in accordance with the MCA Honorarium Policy.
- 25$ per hour up to 75$ per a 3-hour meeting
Currently seeking three District Community Members to serve on the committee, to be able to qualify they must:
- be a Member;
- have knowledge of Mohawk cultures and traditions;
- have good character, credibility, and reputation in the Akwesasne community;
- have good communication skills;
- be “in good standing” as defined in the Akwesasne Good Standing Policy;
- not be a Council member of the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne; the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Council; or, the Mohawk Nation Council of Chiefs;
- never have been convicted of an offense under the Akwesasne Banishment Law, the Akwesasne Drug Law, an indictable offense in Canada or a felony in the United States;
- produce to the Akwesasne Justice Department Director a valid certificate from the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC);
- maintain residence in their District during tenure; and
- fill out and sign the Declaration of Qualifications for District Community Members.
- sign the Oath of Office within 30 days of appointment by Resolution.
- attend and actively participate in training deemed essential for the successful operation of the Oversight Committee;
Duties and responsibilities of District Community Members are to:
- attend meetings as per the Terms of Reference, and,
- attend and actively participate in training deemed essential for the successful operation of the Oversight Committee.
- be a participating member of the Oversight Committee and participate in any working task groups assigned.
- actively engage in community consultation meetings.
- represent their District.
- be able to listen to a wide range of community opinions and make informed decisions regarding legislation that represents the community.
To apply to the Oversight Committee on Legislative Development, please fill out the Declaration of Qualifications (below) and drop it off at the Justice building by July 20, 2021 at 4 p.m.
If you have any questions, please contact Acting Justice Coordinator Emily King at the Akwesasne Justice Department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 613-575-2250 ext. 2403.