DOH MEALS ON WHEELS PROGRAM
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne’s Department of Health (DOH) is providing the community with information on the Meals on Wheels Program. The Meals on Wheels Program delivers freshly prepared meals, Monday to Friday, for its registered clients. The meals are delivered directly to community members’ homes within the three districts of Kana:takon, Tsi Snaihne, and Kawehno:ke.
The Meals on Wheels Program delivers nutritious meals, as well as providing well-being checks and social visits to clients each weekday, Monday to Friday. Clients of the Meals on Wheels Program are seniors or adults with disabilities who are primarily homebound and unable to manage meal preparation. Delivery of meals can be expected between 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Deliveries are hot meals that are easily heated up by the clients upon delivery to their home.
Criteria for the Meals on Wheels Program are as follows:
- Be a homebound person.
- Have impaired mobility and/or incapacitated due to accident, illness, or frailty.
- Lack of support from family members or neighbours.
- Unable to prepare meals because of lack of facilities such as refrigeration, stove, etc.
- Inability to shop and cook for self.
- Inability to safely prepare meals or lack of knowledge and skills.
Client assessments and a 6-month follow-up assessment are required to be eligible for the Meals on Wheels Program.
For more information on the Meals on Wheels Program, or to register, please contact Leah Mitchell, Acting Health Management Coordinator, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.