KANONHKWA’TSHERI:IO HEALTH FACILITY CLOSURE: PROGRAMS AND SERVICES UPDATE
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne’s Department of Health (DOH) and Department of Community & Social Services (DCSS) are providing the community with the following update regarding the Kanonhkwa’tsheri:io Health Facility (KHF) programs and services. The KHF remains closed until further notice while power/electrical repairs are underway. Directors and Program Managers continue to work diligently to identify alternate work sites and arrangements in order to continue services for community members.
The following programs and services have provided the following updates:
- The Akwesasne Medical Clinic (AMC) staff and medical services will be temporarily relocated to the Tsi Snaihne Recreation Center. Any community member who has a medical appointment with AMC can report to the Tsi Snaihne Recreation Center to meet with the AMC healthcare team starting on Wednesday, October 12th. Any appointments scheduled prior to the KHF power outage will need to be rescheduled. The AMC healthcare team can be contacted at 613-575-2341 ext. 3215.
- Proxim Pharmacy remains open to community members to fill and obtain prescription medications. Please contact Proxim Pharmacy at 613-575-1160 for any pharmacy needs.
- The Akwesasne Dental Clinic will be closed for the duration of the KHF power outage.
- Dr. Dubuc’s Optometry office will remain open for window service pick-up of glasses and contacts only. Please call Dr. Dubuc’s office at 613-575-1158 for hours of operation for window service.
- Non-Insured Health Benefits Program (NIHB) to be temporarily relocated to the Iohahi:io Akwesasne Education & Training Institute. NIHB will provide notice when they are fully operational at Iohahi:io. NIHB will be extending the Emergency Pharmacy Dispense to October 14th. Providers are asked to email staff until NIHB is up and running at Iohahi:io.
- Community Support Program (CSP) intake staff will be working from home. Any CSP inquiries can be made by calling 613-551-4824.
- The Akwesasne Child & Family Services (ACFS) program is temporarily relocated to the ACFS satellite office in Tsi Snaihne, located at 81 Whoville Road. The ACFS phone line information has not changed. If there is no answer, please leave a voicemail, and staff will respond to you at their earliest convenience.
- Wholistic Health & Wellness Program staff are working from home but continue to be accessible at their regular extensions through the main phone number (613-575-2341).
- The Community Health Program’s Diabetes Management Program continues to be operational and is continuing with scheduled appointments. Healthy Babies Healthy Children is operational with home and office visits. The Diabetes Prevention Gym access is deferred until further notice. The COVID-19 vaccine clinic scheduled for Wednesday, October 12th from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. will take place in the Kanonhkwa’tsheri:io parking lot. The seasonal influenza clinic scheduled for Friday, October 14th, will take place in the Kanonhkwa’tsheri:io parking lot from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. on a first-come, first-served basis. Look for the white medical van in the front parking lot area. The flu shot may also be given in your vehicle; please wear loose clothing to ensure fast access to your upper arm. Saturday, October 15th seasonal influenza vaccine clinic at the Kawehno:ke Fire Hall will continue as scheduled from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
The Departments of DOH and DCSS will continue to keep the community updated as information becomes available. We greatly appreciate the community’s kindness and understanding. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused during these repairs.