MCA DEPT. OF HEALTH GATHERING ADVICE
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne’s Dept. of Health currently advises the community to only gather with those who reside in your household. If you choose to host or attend a gathering, please be mindful of the following reminders and recommendations.
If you have a gathering with people you don’t live with:
- The fewer people, the lower the risk of exposure to COVID-19.
- Maintain physical distancing of at least two metres, whether the gathering is indoors or outdoors.
- Adhere to provincial legal restrictions on public and private gatherings (O. Reg. 364/20). Local restrictions may also apply.
- It is important to remember that just because you know someone, it does not reduce the risk of transmitting COVID-19. Keep following good public health practices.
If you choose to host an in-person gathering:
- Ask guests to not attend if they have symptoms, even if they are mild.
- Determine how many people can easily maintain physical distancing in the space, without exceeding the gathering limits.
- •ou should keep your gathering as small as possible and use outdoor spaces whenever possible.
- Promote physical distancing, including by arranging seating in advance to appropriately space household groups.
- Provide all the necessary supplies such as hand sanitizer, soap, and water.
- Plan for how guests will use the washroom to limit people touching the same objects and ensuring it is clean.
- Open windows, if possible.
- Clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces.
- Make a list of guests in case public health needs it for contact tracing.
- Remind people to follow public health advice during the gathering, including physical distancing and wearing a face covering indoors and wearing one outdoors if physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- If you choose to serve food or drinks at your gathering, you should:
- Follow food safety guidelines.
- Wash your hands before and frequently during preparation.
- Avoid potluck and buffet-style food service and make a plan for how you will physically distance while distributing and cleaning up food (e.g., bring your own food).
- Have food on individual plates to prevent your guests from passing and touching the same objects.
- Have everyone wash their hands before and after eating.
If you choose to attend an in-person gathering:
- You should not attend if you have any symptoms, even if they are mild, or if you are in quarantine or self-isolating.
- Limit close contact to the people you live with.
- Always maintain two metres of physical distancing from everyone else.
- Wear a face covering indoors and wear one outdoors if physical distancing may not be maintained.
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer regularly throughout the gathering.
- Ask in advance what the plan is for using washrooms and providing food or drinks. You should ensure that people are not touching the same objects or coming closer than 2 metres with others.
- Consider participating virtually or not attending the gathering if you are at higher risk for serious illness from COVID-19, including if you are 70 years or older, are immunocompromised, or have underlying medical conditions.
Please remember not to let your guard down, keep yourself and your family safe, and be vigilant in practicing of prevention measures.