PROTECTIVE MEASURES FOR COMMUNITY BUSINESSES
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne is thankful to community businesses that continue to operate to provide goods and services to community members. However, during the COVID-19 pandemic, businesses and community members must be willing to alter their “normal” behavior to best protect employees and customers.
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne is informing all business owners that they must take the following protective measures to limit the spread of COVID-19 and to ensure the health and safety of all.
1. Ensure Physical Distancing:
• Use colorful tape to mark 6-foot spacing on the floor. Advise customers that they are required to maintain this distance throughout the business and especially at the checkout.
• Stagger the number of people entering the premises at the same time, in order to respect physical distancing requirements.
2. Implement Hygiene/Disinfection Procedures:
• Provide a plexiglass divider at the check-out and any other area that requires an employee to be close to a customer.
• Provide hand sanitizer or hand washing stations for employees’ use.
• Disinfect high traffic areas such as door handles, phones, switches, etc., often.
3. Implement Other Measures:
• Provide signage at the entrance and throughout the business to remind customers of the importance of physical distancing.
• Have loose items at takeout concessions, such as stir sticks, straws, and napkins, only dispensed by food handlers.
We are asking that businesses and community members comply with these requirements to ensure the ongoing health and safety of our community members, especially our most vulnerable. Your understanding and cooperation are appreciated, especially at this time.