WHW TRADITIONAL MEDICINE — TRADITIONAL PLANTING GUIDE CONTRIBUTIONS
The MCA Wholistic Health & Wellness Program is excited to complete the “Traditional Planting Guide”, which was developed in conjunction with the Kaienthohsera – Akwesasne Garden Initiative.
The information in the guide is meant to help individuals be successful in their food growing while being grounded in who we are as Akwesasronon. A physical copy of the guide will be provided to everyone who receives a garden box through the Kaienthohsera – Akwesasne Garden Initiative. Select pages of the guide will be shared on MCA’s Facebook page.
This Traditional Planting Guide is a collaboration between the Wholistic Health & Wellness Traditional Medicine Team, Akwesasronon knowledge keepers and linguists, and knowledge keepers from our sister communities.
• Arisawe Lazore, Eddie Gray, Darrell Thompson for their guidance on the traditional teachings that are included.
• Grace Mitchell for their Mohawk language expertise in editing the speeches.
• Stephen McComber from Kahnawake for sharing knowledge on planting by the moon.
• Kanesatake Health Center for the original concept and development of Mohawk language phrases related to gardening.
• Mary McDonald and Alice King for editing the dialect of the Mohawk language phrases into an Akwesasne dialect.
• Terrylynn Brant from Six Nations for their gardening expertise that it is not too late to start your gardens and direct seeding most plants.
• Kyrie Ransom for photography and design of the publication.