CALL FOR AKWESASNE MOHAWK POLICE COMMISSIONERS
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne is currently filling vacant seats on the Akwesasne Mohawk Police Commission (AMPC) for the districts of Tsi Snaihne, Kawehno:ke, and Kana:takon with a term of three (3) years.
To qualify for appointment to the AMPC, a candidate must:
- be enrolled as a member of Akwesasne pursuant to the Akwesasne Membership Code (does not include probationary members);
- be twenty-one (21) years of age or older;
- possess good character, credibility and reputation in the Akwesasne community;
- must not be a member of Council, except for the District Chief appointed under section 3.2;
- not have a criminal record relating to an indictable offence in Canada or a felony in the United States upon taking oath of office and must consent to a Level 1 Criminal Record Check through the SRMT Police Service and the AMPS and shall, with their application provide a sworn declaration that they have not been convicted of offences described under subsection 3.4 (e) of the Charter;
- not have been removed from office pursuant to Section 16 of the AMPC Charter within the past five (5) years;
- reside in the District from which they are appointed;
- and must not be an officer or civilian employee nor have an immediate family member who is an officer or civilian staff of the AMPS and in the case of former employees of the Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service that person must have been removed for at least two (2) years prior to their appointment to the AMPC.
Interested candidates are required to state in letter form:
- that they fulfill the above listed qualifications;
- a brief description of your previous involvement in community affairs;
- a summary of reasons you wish to become an Akwesasne Mohawk Police Commissioner;
- and provide a Criminal Record Check from AMPS and the St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Police.
In accordance with the Akwesasne Mohawk Policing Agreement and the AMPC Charter, all interested residents are asked to submit completed packages no later than Friday, May 20th, 2022 at 4 p.m.
Please submit packages to:
Mohawk Council of Akwesasne
ATTN: Chelsea Francis
12 Akwesasne St, Akwesasne, QC H0M 1A0
(Admin. I Building in Kana:takon)