Call Out For Elder Representative
Mohawk Council of Akwesasne Callout for Elder Representatives
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne would like to appoint six (6) elder representatives, to represent the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne and the community of Akwesasne.
The membership of the Akwesasne Iethisohthokón:a/Elders Council shall consist of six (6) representatives, with a goal of equal gender composition, and to a term determined by the applicant’s wishes. In order to be eligible to represent the Mohawks of Akwesasne, Iethisohthokón:a/Elders, applicants must:
1. Be enrolled Member of the Mohawks of Akwesasne, pursuant to the Akwesasne
2. Attain the age of 65 years old the time of appointment;
3. Reside in one of the three (3) districts of Akwesasne: Kawehno:ke, Kana:takon or Tsi
4. Must be prepared to identify their vision and goals for Akwesasne;
5. Be able to travel and attend meetings locally and distant;
6. Ability to speak the Kanien’keha language and have knowledge of Kanien’keha culture and traditions is not necessarily a “must”, but an asset.
Responsibilities in accordance to the terms of reference
1. Serve as a source of accurate information about Kanien’keha heritage;
2. Reviews and assess the quality of services provided by MCA for the elderly members;
3. Liaise with Grand Chief and Council on a quarterly annual (3 month) or as needed basis;
4. Liaise with Akwesasne Youth Council on an as needed basis;
5. Be respectful to all;
6. Support and work with Akwesasne youth initiatives.
Please be advised there are additional responsibilities in accordance to the Terms of Reference. Individuals selected will be appointed as MCA Elder Representatives through a Mohawk Council Resolution.
Interested individuals are invited to submit their letter of interest and resume to Kuyra Chaussi at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail/in person to the Mohawk Government Offices located at 29
Third St, Akwesasne, QC H0M 1A0 (Old G & L Building 1 near Area Management in Kana:takon) by
Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 4:00pm. For further information or if you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Mohawk Government offices at (613) 575-2348 extension 2265.