MOHAWK COUNCIL OF AKWESASNE AND SAINT REGIS MOHAWK TRIBE JOINT COVID-19 (NOVEL CORONAVIRUS) INFORMATIONAL BRIEFING (March 17, 2020)
JOINT RESPONSE TO COVID-19
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe (SRMT) and the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne (MCA), including health and emergency staff, are working together to provide information to the community and to ensure readiness in regard to the COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) pandemic. The health of our entire community is a priority.
Please refer to our websites for previous informational updates: www.srmt-nsn.gov and www.akwesasne.ca.
On March 16, 2020, the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne and Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe declared a state of emergency for Akwesasne. Ontario has declared a state of emergency, and New York State has advised all restaurants, gyms and movie theatres to close to the public until further notice.
The community is advised of the following updates:
MOHAWK COUNCIL OF AKWESASNE:
- The MCA Dept. of Health consistently meets with staff, programs, providers and Emergency Measures staff to ensure continuity of care.
- The Dept. of Health is discouraging any and all activities that would allow for community and people to congregate, for example, social gatherings of 50 people or more within the community.
- The MCA Community Health Program continues to provide services necessary to the community and telephone screening for COVID-19 is ongoing at 613-575-2341 ext 3220. For after hours please call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000.
- Mental Health Services through the Wholistic Health and Wellness Program will be provided through telephone 613-575-2341 3115 as well as a toll free number 1-844-244-1060.
- Horn’s Medical Clinic is closed at Iakhihsohtha until further notice.
- PLEASE phone the Medical Clinics prior to attending, or presenting to either site.
- The Akwesasne Medical Clinic can be reached at 613-575-2341 Ext. 3215, and the Kawehno:ke Medical Clinic at Ext. 1110 (or directly at 613-932-5808).
- Traditional Medicine will be providing telephone follow-ups for existing clients. Please contact them at Ext. 3100.
- Physiotherapy will be cancelled until further notice.
- Saylor’s pediatric appointments will be cancelled until further notice.
- Levac will be providing telephone follow-ups for upcoming appointments only.
- Torres’ appointments at the Kawehno:ke Medical Clinic will be cancelled until further notice.
- Funnell’s appointments at the Kawehno:ke Medical Clinic will be cancelled until further notice.
- Katelyn Fedorak and Janet Brant, Nurse Practitioners, will be seeing patients at the Kawehno:ke Medical Clinic on an “urgent care only” basis.
- To fill your prescription(s) Proxim Pharmacy will be available. Please ensure that your prescriptions are filled and up to date.
- Wholistic Health and Wellness Prevention Services are cancelled until further notice.
- Wholistic Health and Wellness Addiction Services will be available by telephone only at ext. 3115
- Non-Insured Health Benefits will be providing transportation to those clients that require essential treatment and services only. The program can be reached at x3340 or by their toll free number 1-888-514-1966 should there be any questions regarding benefits to community.
- Ambulance services will be conducted as normal and will be screening all calls. For all emergencies please call Central Dispatch at 613-575-2000. Please be prepared for screening questions.
- The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne’s Green Food Bags will be delivered to clients this week. The program will temporarily discontinue until further notice.
- The Akwesasne Dental Clinic (a private business located within the Kanonhkwat’sheri:io Health Facility) is closed until further notice.
- The MCA Community Health Program’s Mammogram Day scheduled for March 26 is postponed for 6-8 weeks.
- The MCA Environment Program is closed until further notice. Environment staff are assisting Economic Development in emergency operations. The Conservation Program (a branch of Environment) is also assisting Emergency Measures.
- The Mohawk Government Office is closed with all staff and Council working remotely. If you have questions, or would like to set up an appointment, please email Mohawk Government Support Manager Chelsea Francis at email@example.com call at 613-330-5429. We will be at our office on a very limited basis, but are available for appointments as required.
- The MCA Finance Office is still operating; however it is closed to visitors unless by appointment. Payments and purchase orders continue to be processed. For Payments please contact Finance at 613-575-2250 and book an appointment
- HR – At this time, we are delaying all non-essential hiring at the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne.
- The Entewatathá:wi (Nation Building) Program and Asst. Director Donna Roundpoint are working remotely.
- The MCA Akwesasne Child & Family Services Program continues to operate to assist Akwesasne families with emergencies as needed. Child welfare services are a priority and will remain operational. We ask the community to call us at 613-575-2341 Ext. 3139 and we will assist you via telephone and make any arrangements to accommodate assistance. After hour series are available by calling Central Dispatch at 613-575-2000. ACFS will also be assisting with food banks and food distribution. Please do not hesitate to contact them with any questions.
- The Akwesasne Court on Kawehno:ke is closed until further notice. If you have court related questions, some court staff have relocated to the Akwesasne Justice Department temporarily and can be reached at 613-575-2250 Ext. 2400. All matters returnable to the Akwesasne Court for April 8, 2020, and all matters that were not disposed of by the Court of the Administration by April 8, 2020 will be adjourned to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, May 13, 2020.
- The Akwesasne Justice Department is closed to public entry; staff will answer phones for emergencies during business hours.
- The Akwesasne Family Wellness Program is not accepting new clients at this time, which will be re-assessed in the coming weeks. All non-essential visits to the AFWP facility are suspended until further notice. Current clients were moved to the Transitional Housing Units for self-isolation. The AFWP will be operating with limited staff on rotation.
- The Office of Vital Statistics will only be open one day per week for the next two weeks due to staff limitations. Please note that we will only be able to handle URGENT matters by appointment No walk-ins will be accepted. If you have an urgent matter, please call 613-936-1548 Ext. 1013 and leave a message, or contact us by email at the following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We will be open on the following dates:
- Tuesday, March 17, 2020 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 23, 2020 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- OVS appreciates your patience and understanding.
- The Economic Development and Environment staff will be overseeing food procurement. More information is forthcoming.
- The A’nowara’ko:wa Arena is closed to the public until further notice.
- The Green Food Program will continue this month with delivery service in the next few days. More details are forthcoming. The program will temporarily discontinue until further notice.
- At this time, no visitors are allowed at MCA’s long-term care facilities – Tsiionkwanonhso:te and Iakhihsohtha. This decision has not been made lightly and we appreciate the understanding of our families and community members as we strive to protect our residents. Your loved ones will continue to receive professional care that includes a great amount of love from staff at the homes. This includes the Senior’s Day Program activities.
SAINT REGIS MOHAWK TRIBE:
- CANCELATIONS – Due to concerns regarding Coronavirus/COVID 19 precautions, the following Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal activities have been canceled:
- Narcan Training scheduled for March 18, 2020 at the Akwesasne Recovery Center is postponed until further notice.
- The Question, Persuade, Refer Suicide Prevention Gatekeeper training is canceled for March 19, 2020
- The Intensive Preventive Program (IPP) will be canceling the last three Positive Indian Parenting Sessions on March 17th, March 24th, and March 31st.
– (IPP) will also be canceling The Women’s Talking Circle on Wednesday’s from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. until further notice.
- The community Mohawk language classes held at Ionkwakiohkwaróron and at the Akwesasne Business Center are canceled until further notice.
- Hidden Mischief presented by the A/CDP Prevention Program scheduled for March 25, 2020 is postponed until further notice. (3/17)
- HR – At this time, we are delaying all hiring at the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, therefore all interviews that have been scheduled will be postponed until further notice.
- COMMUNITY – The National Grid Liaison, Stacy Skidders, will be working remotely starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020. If you are in need of services regarding your National Grid account please call or text her at (518) 391-5842. If you call please leave a detailed voicemail with your Name and purpose of your call.
- CLUBHOUSE – Tuesdayevening tutoring sessions will be cancelled until further notice. If you have any questions, please call (518)333-0221.
- CLUBHOUSE – Ronthahiiohsthà:ke Clubhouse’s highly urges members to not attend the Clubhouse if they are feeling sick, or if any household member is feeling sick. Our priority is keeping our members and community safe and healthy. If you have any questions, please call (518)333-0221.
- AERC – The following workshops have been postponed until further notice:
- Mondays – Resume Writing 101
- Friday, March 27 – Interviewing Techniques
- Tuesday, March 31 – Speed Networking (3/17)
- AERC – The Akwesasne Employment Resource Center is closed and staff will be working remotely to assist clients. Below is our contact information if you or a client wishes to reach out to us:
- Danielle Salgado – Office Manager- (518) 358-3047 1552 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Susan Rourke – Employment Resource Officer – (518) 358-3047 1554. Email: email@example.com
- Leona Francis – Employment Development Officer – (518) 358-3047 1551. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stacy Skidders – National Grid Liaison – (518) 391-5842Email: email@example.com
Akwesasne Food Distribution Schedule
- Tuesday, March 17, 2020
SALMON RIVER SCHOOL DISTRICT: Meals have begun being provided to children free of cost from 10:00am to 11:30am each day at St. Regis Mohawk School in Akwesasne, Rainbow Park in Fort Covington, and Elm Circle Parking Lot in Westville. For more information, please call Nicole Foster at (518) 358-6682.
- Wednesday, March 18, 2020
AKWESASNE BOYS & GIRLS CLUB: Dinners will being being provided to Club members who have pre-registered. Pickup location will be at Generations Park. For more information or to register call, please (518) 358-9911 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday, March 19, 2020
AKWESASNE FOOD PANTRY: Will take place from 4:00pm to 6:00pm at the Mohawk Indian Housing Authority on McGee Road. To access, please drive from McGee Road/Route 37 intersection (near Bear’s Den). Enter facility’s parking lot at 188 McGee road and follow instructions provided. Volunteers will place food box in your vehicle. Proceed along perimeter of parking lot to exit and proceed right to McGee Road/St. Regis Road intersection. For more information, please call (518) 358-4860.
- THIS WEEK
The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne’s Green Food Bags will be delivered to clients this week. The program will temporarily discontinue until further notice.
Please refer to our previous joint updates for additional information.